The Middle Peninsula African-American Genealogical and Historical Society of Virginia (MPAAGHS) was formed in September 2004.
- The opportunity to interact with people who are passionate about genealogy
- Speakers on topics that are of interest to the genealogist/family historian, e.g. preservation of photographs and documents, collecting oral history, creating family quilts, genealogy software, African-American/Native American research
- The opportunity to exchange practical tips and to share successes and roadblocks in researching family ancestry
- The opportunity to meet relatives/extended family members and to exchange family history files/documents, etc.
- Field trips to sites of local and state interest
- A surnames list
- A collaboration with Family Search to produce a free searchable online database of funeral programs at FamilySearch.org.
All people who have an interest in African-American genealogy and history are invited to join MPAAGHS. Dues are $20 per calendar year. Complete the form on the brochure and mail payment to the stated address.